Participate in a unique experience and discover new ways to express your ideas and dreams using technology and arts. ADEF camps give young girls and boys from different Arab countries the chance to meet, make new friendships and learn new skills in a fun and encouraging atmosphere that fosters new experiences and discovering new abilities within yourself by having different workshops of sound, video, music, theatre and dance, handicrafts, sports and making.
We are pleased to announce the 2019 call for participation in ADEF camps for youth aged 12-15. The camp duration is 15 days of fun and learning and is taking place in Egypt this year. The camp will take place from July 20 to August 3, 2019, in Motel King Maryout in Alexandria, Egypt.
Deadline for application:
* 15th of June 2019 for participants applying from outside of Egypt
* 29th of June 2019 for participants living in Egypt
The first two days of the camp, the campers get introduced to all tracks and trainers by attending introductory workshops for each track.
The campers will participate in 38 workshops from 8 different tracks throughout the two-week period. Those include:
- Handicrafts: the principles of using and mixing different colours, graffiti and sculpting. Merging handicrafts and digital arts by using programs for photo editing and some coding.
- Theatre: Principles of acting and performing and theatre directing.
- Sound and Music: sound effects; how to use sound equipment and introduction to sound production; Djing and Vjing skills; using the body and different instruments to make sounds.
- Making: principles of electricity and electronics and simple electrical circuits (Arduino, raspberry pies), concepts of alternative energy and how to generate power from natural resources like sun and wind, and how to save power and reuse it.
- Video: writing scripts, filming, editing, visual effects, and principles of sound engineering in movies.
- Sports: football, volleyball, basketball, water polo, swimming, bow and arrow, and different rhythm exercises in addition to a small trip.
- Dance: expressing yourself in movement and music by getting to know different dance techniques such as contemporary dance, Hip hop, Dabke, and dance choreography.
Coding will be included in all of our tracks, in addition to the use of Open source programs and software.
Participants will also take part in the following activities:
A day trip to the heavenly beach of Marsa Matrouh
Designed night activities such as costume party, game nights, karaoke, DJing and dancing
Visits by talented artists from Egypt and the Arab world
Sound and Music
Arts and Crafts
- ADEF camps 2019 will be held in Motel King Maryout near Alexandria - Egypt.
- The location includes the following facilities:
- Workshop halls for theatre and dance workshops
- Three Computer labs
- Hotel rooms
- Green areas for sports
- Swimming pool
Near the King Maryout Lake (20 minutes away from the camp’s location)
- Has free spaces for different activities and is completely private to the camp's activities.
- Three hours from Cairo
- Address: 5 Al- Faraaneh street, at the intersection of Burj al- Arab road, King Maryout, Alexandria, Egypt
- 25 minutes away (18 kilometres) from Borg El Arab International Airport.
- The weather will moderate hot and the location is surrounded by a green area. The weather is expected to be between 28-35 C in July 2019.
- 25 minutes away from Mabaret Al-Asafra Hospital.
The camp costs are covered by campers paying full fees as well as donations to the organisation. The camp fees cover the costs of the camp as well as full and partial scholarships for those who cannot afford to attend.
We encourage Arab youth in Egypt and the rest of the Arab world to apply to take part in this unique experience. We offer the space for applying for full or partial scholarships. The selection of the participants is according to several criteria:
- An equal number of girls and boys. The total number of campers at the camp is 66
- The diversity of nationalities from the Arab world and both cities and governorates outside the capital
- Participants who are able to pay full participation fees will constitute 30% of all participants.
Every year we aim to offer full or partial scholarships for 70% of the youth who are unable to participate in the camp by the contribution of our friends and partners either as individuals or organizations who believe in the responsibility of the people and organizations to develop knowledge in our Arab societies. Our aim is to have collaborative funding and support from every parent in the Arab world who aspire for a wholesome and critical education of their children and want to actively contribute to their society by helping other parents who are unable to cover the full camp fees. We invite you all to contribute with us and share this experience by supporting as many participants as possible from all around the Arab world.
- The fees for the participants outside Egypt is 1300$ not including flight tickets.
- The fees for participants in Egypt is 20,000 EGP.
- Applying for a full or partial scholarship is open to everybody, with the condition that participants applying are curious and keen to learn the tracks offered and are not able financially to pay the full amount of the camp fees.
- Participants who pay the full amount contribute to the continuity of ADEF camps and help support more scholarships.
- Please make it clear in the application if you want a full or partial scholarship.
- In case two siblings apply to the camp.
- In case you have a brother or sister who was a camper in previous years
- In case you’re an employer who is paying for your employee's children
- In case you pay the full amount within a month from the start of the application
In case you pay the full amount within a month from the start of the application call in addition to meeting one of the criteria for the 10% discount (example: paying the full amount within a month + having two siblings in the same camp). Camp fees can be paid by monthly instalments until June without any interest rates.
On Payments by Installments:
-Campers fees can be paid by installments starting May 2019 and up to 18 July 2019 in four separate payments, provided that the full amount is paid by 18 July, 2019. There will be no interest charge for the installment system.
The ratio of the participants according to payments:
- 30% of the participants pay the full amount of the fees.
- 26% of the participants take half a scholarship.
- 24% of the participants take a partial scholarship.
- 20% of the participants take a full scholarship.
|Type of Subscription||Subscription fees|
|From outside of Egypt||From inside Egypt|
|Full amount||1300 USD not including the flight tickets||20,000 EGP|
|Partial amount 1 - Half the amount||650 USD not including the flight tickets||10,000 EGP|
|Partial amount - Quarter of the amount||325 USD not including the flight tickets||5,000 EGP|
- Full scholarships for participants from outside of Egypt including flight tickets.
- Subscription fees for participants living inside Egypt depend on their interest and economic conditions.
- The subscription fees include usage of the equipment (each camper will have her/his own computer to work on).
- The fees cover accommodation, 3 meals and one snack daily, sightseeing trips, entertainment parties and sports and cultural activities.
- About ADEC: A two-week summer camp that provides alternative education for Arab teens aged between 12 and 15 from different socioeconomic backgrounds venturing into voyages of self-expression and identity exploration through engaging art and technology with the culture of open source; empowering them to narrate their stories without boundaries.
- About ADEF: A non-profit foundation was established in 2009 and licensed under the Egyptian Ministry of Social Solidarity. ADEF builds spaces, fosters environments for expression and learning, enhances skills and develops knowledge tools to support and empower teenagers and youth, groups or individuals, working on the ground to strengthen their practices and engagement with society.
History of ADEC:
Since 2007, Arab Digital Expression Camps - ADEC has grown and its impact deepened among teenagers and youth promoting ADEF values; free expression, critical thinking, communication and collaboration. More than 689 male and female teenagers from different socioeconomic backgrounds from 11 Arab countries have lived and benefited from ADEC experience, offering them a unique opportunity to discover their abilities and express themselves freely through arts and technology. The camp also contributes to building their personality by learning ethical values such as understanding what we have in common and celebrating our differences, critical thinking, practices in collaboration, leadership and teamwork.
In addition to the campers, 300 trainers, from 16 different Arab countries aged 25-35 have trained at the camp, some of the renowned artists and techies with high profiles. Part of the camps becoming a meaningful experience is community participation in making it unfold and successfully happen, with the belief of the critical value of youth engagement.
This project is considered to be a rich experience in learning and exchange of knowledge. The curriculum has been developed by artists and specialists in education, art, and technology from various Arab countries who share the principles of producing knowledge in Arabic and who believe in freedom of expression and freedom and access to knowledge. In our work, we believe in the right to knowledge, and for knowledge to be free and accessible without any limitations, where the internet plays a vital role. This is why we encourage participants in the camp on concepts and tools that promote exchanging and sharing open knowledge which enable them to think critically and empowers their ability to find resources and evaluate them themselves. Developing these skills and tools is one of our main pedagogical goals in the camps.
Previous Supporters and Collaborators
Accommodation and meals:
The number of participants per room will be from 3-5 campers. We provide 3 meals a day in addition to juice and pastries snacks between workshop. The meals are designed to provide a balanced diet in both quality and quantity.
All of our supervisors, trainers, and camp leaders are trained intensively on child safety. Our supervision is present at all times but without authority. Campers are not allowed to leave the camp’s location without enough supervision.
There will be a highly-qualified nurse with us at the camp during the whole period, with an equipped clinic. There is also a reliable hospital 25 minutes away from the camp’s location (Mabaret Al-Asafra Hospital).
Information you might need:
- Part of our pedagogical vision is taking care of the physical health of the participants and their cognitive development, so we make sure that their days are balanced between art, movement and technology.
- Coding will be a part of all the tracks, we also use open source software and adopt open licenses.
For more information about camps or to support and contribute so we can cover all the scholarship needs, please contact our Admin Assistant Noha Fawzy at
You can also calling us by phone from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm or from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm Cairo time, or on Whatsapp, on +201007934354
How to support us?
For the tenth year in a row, ADEF camps have been sustainable through alternative and creative models of funding based on collaborations between funders, company sponsorships and individual contributions.
ADEF main goal is to cover the participation of 35 underprivileged Arab youngsters (=60% from Campers total number) who will be selected with the help of our partner NGOs in the region whose mandate focuses on youth development, ICT, arts, and expression.
The cost to fund one camper is $1,300 which covers: full board accommodation, education fees, computer lab facilities, video & sound equipment, scheduled trips, all sports, cultural activities and local transportation, excluding the plane tickets fees for participants from outside Egypt).
Part of the camps becoming a meaningful experience is community participation in making it unfold and successfully happen, in belief of the critical value of youth engagement. Therefore, we cannot do this without the ongoing support of people like you who believe in building a foundation within our youth for a brighter future.
To donate, send us an email : noha.fawzy@